March 6 is National Oreo Day!
Today is National Oreo Day. It’s been 103 years since the first Oreo sandwich cookies were introduced by Nabisco (then, National Biscuit Company). The Oreo cookie over those years have become the best selling cookie in the United States. In celebration of National Oreo Day, here are some facts about Oreo that you may not have known:
- Oreo was introduced by the National Biscuit Company in 1912 in a bakery in Chelsea, Manhattan, New York and sold in Hoboken, New Jersey. [Oreofunfacts]
- The Oreo was first sold on March 6, 1912, but it wasn’t until a week later, on March 14, 1912, that the Oreo name was trademarked. [Justia]
- Oreo cookies were actually imitations (a nicer word for knockoffs) of Sunshine’s Hydrox cookies. Hydrox eventually suffered for being the “knockoff” cookies and after being acquired by different companies for the past few decades, may see a new release in 2015. [Huffington Post]
- If you look carefully at the Oreo cookie design, you can see the Nabisco logo.
- Good luck finding the origin of the name ‘Oreo’ because it is not known how the name originated.
- For DC comics fans, Martian Manhunter’s favorite cookie was the Oreo. Although it was originally the cookies mentioned in the comics were named Oreo cookies, they were later changed to Chocos. Let’s be honest, they are still Oreo cookies. [ComicVine]
- Oreo O’s cereal was introduced in 1998, but was discontinued in 2007 everywhere except South Korea. This is because Post and Kraft went their separate ways. Post owns the Cereal Recipe and Kraft/Mondelez own the Oreo brand name. In South Korea, Dongsuh Foods was licensed to produce Post brand cereal along with General Foods. Kraft’s acquisition of General Foods, making it possible for Dongsuh Foods to produce Oreo O’s. If you really want to try them, you can do what I have done before and purchase them off of eBay. [Digplanet – Approachnews]
Now that you know some of these facts, you should go out there and celebration National Oreo Day by enjoying some Oreo cookies yourself.